The celebration of baptism is the first sacrament in the initiation process of your child and it is the basis of the whole Christian life.
Infant (Birth through 6 years old)
Who can be baptized as an infant?
Infant baptism is for children younger than 7 years old. Parents and Godparents commit to raise him/her on the faith. Parents of children who need baptism are required to be registered members of St. Mark for at least 3 months prior to baptism, with the expectation that they are actively practicing their faith. After registration parents and godparents attend class to prepare for this commitment
How do I register to baptize my child at St. Mark?
Parents, please gather the following:
1) If not registered, fill out our Registration Form. REGISTRATION FORM
2) Attach copy of Birth Certificate (not the original) per child. If registered bring copy to class.
3) Ask Godparents to fill out GODPARENT(S) ELIGIBILITY DECLARATION per child, and attach. ELIGIBILITY FORM
4) Attach copy of Godparents Catholic Wedding Certificate if married.
5) Make a payment fee of $10 per child or bring cash/check payment to Baptism class.
6) Attend Baptism class and bring all documentation plus proof of payment, or, attend Baptism class and provide payment there. Make sure Godparents come to class and bring copy of their Catholic Wedding Certificate if married and eligibility declaration.
Godparents are an integral part of the Sacrament of Baptism. The Church places great value on their role; as such, please select people who will be Catholic role models for your child.
Godparents are called to perform an officium (CCC 1255) in the Church, where they will walk with your child throughout his/her life, pray for and encourage them, and give advice when needed. Ideally, godparents will be present at their godchild's First Communion, Confirmation and Marriage.
Here are guidelines for selecting godparents as defined by the Church:
- Only one godparent (man or woman) is needed;
- If there are two godparents, they must be a man and a woman.
- No more than two godparents are allowed.
- Minimum of 16 years old;
- Fully initiated Catholic (has received Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation);
- Is a practicing Catholic (attends Mass regularly and on Sundays, receives the Sacraments of Communion and
- Lives his/her life according to the teachings of the Catholic Church (single Catholic, or married in the Catholic Church –
civil marriage only does not qualify); and
- Godparents must take a Baptism Preparation class
- Godparents need to fill out GODPARENT(S) ELIGIBILITY DECLARATION. ELIGIBILITY FORM
- Attach copy of Godparents Catholic Wedding Certificate if married.
It is the Parents' responsibility to make sure that Godparents fulfill all requisites.
When is the Baptism class, and when are Baptisms celebrated?
Currently, St. Mark requires only one class for both Parents and Godparents.
Class takes place one Sunday every other month in the Parish Hall, from 1:00-3:00pm.
Baptisms are celebrated on the first and third Sundays of each month at 1:00pm, after our 11:30am Mass or during Mass as requested.
RCIC Child (7 years and older)
RCIC stands for the Rite of Christian Initiation for Children. The sacraments of Christian initiation-Baptism, Confirmation and the Eucharist- "lay the foundations of every Christian life." (CCC 1212). The RCIC program is intended for children who have reached the age of reason (7 years or older). Children are instructed for one year about the sacraments of Baptism, First Eucharist and Confirmation, as well as other aspects of the Catholic Church, particularly the Creed, our profession of faith. After proper instruction these young people will receive all three sacraments of Christian initiation at the Easter Vigil the following spring. This program requires a high level of parent participation, as well as attendance at specific Masses throughout the year.